Saturday 20 October 2012


Welcome to my Jo Blog !


I started out as a kid drumming on stage next to Ella Fitzgerald, the first lady of jazz. What a gracious lady she was, and I was privileged to have that opportunity!  Later on, the granddaddy of rock, Chuck Berry, took me under his wing and taught me a thing or two about life!

My passion for making music uprooted me from New Jersey and lured me to London, the mecca of creative new sounds. That was back in the 80's, original raw sounds blending with surrealistic ideas. Hugely creative people like Siouxie and the Banshees, The Buzzcocks, The Cure.

It was a moneymaking paradise, plenty of work on tap. Everyone hooked up. Record companies were hungry for new artists, fresh ideas, and every week new singles were coming out.  I had plenty of session work, such as a gig drumming for a band called Hollywood Beyond which led to more drum work with Style Council on their album, 'Confessions of a Pop Group'. Later on, I met and partied with Ronnie Wood, Bobby Womack and many others.

Like everyone, I've had my share of ups and downs, including a long turbulent marriage and constant bullying because of my dyslexia.  It's tough being a dyslexic. Even now, not many people get it. Through it all, I found inner strengths that I never realised I had!

My good friend, Voodoo Child, said to me one day, hey Jo, you got a great story, why not write your autobiography?  She really helps me to value my experiences!!  So, here I am, doing it!

As far as my book goes, I want to show what it's like being a dyslexic rock chick on the London music scene. Not a walk in the park, I tell ya, handling all those massive egos and larger than life personalities!  Still, I wouldn't change it for the world!  Drumming is my passion! Whether it's Blues, Rock, Funk, Soul, Pop, Latin, or Trad!

And the good news is, I'm back on the scene, and ready to take up where I left off!

More later

Time Traveler

5 comments:

  1. ace blog !! great podcast too .. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. very lively and entertaining blog, looking forward to the next one, is there a book coming out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog from a very alive person.Enjoyed very much.KEEP IT UP.

    Pat/Cold Flame management www.coldflame.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat ,

      Thank you and delighted to hear your feedback !
      Just did 3 published interview

      Delete

Feel free to comment, if you include a link to your blog I will return the favour!

Best wishes,

Joanne